Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 15:56:43 +0100
From:      Sebastien ROCHE <roche1@sxb.bsf.alcatel.fr>
To:        dan@tsolab.org
Cc:        Ken Menzel <kenm@icarz.com>, Joe Gleason <clash@fireduck.com>, Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, B <brentb@loa.com>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var drive space problem

--------------8AE054E49F4D8D37B2E6FBA9

Hi all,

About this particular problem (size of /):

My / partition is 32 Mb large. I had no problem until yesterday, when the
make installkernel didn't work due to insufficient space.
I think it's /modules which is bigger than it was (and the installation
process makes a copy of it). Anyway it was difficult to have it work. I
lost /stand and I put /lkm on /usr and I had to delete some binaries in
/bin or /sbin that I don't use.

Do you have an idea of what else I could put on /usr ?  (not /bin /sbin
/modules /boot /kernel /etc, hmmm there's not much more I think).

Thanks for help,

Sebastien

Daniel Tso wrote:

> > I Agree, with Joe,  but I also want to add I think the root file
> > systems is also too small.  The same type of formula could work.  As
> > for me I'll continue to set my favorite values for modern drives: 250M
> > root,  2*mem swap, 250M /var,  the rest /usr.
> > 20M is way too small for modern drives,  but we can't hard code this
> > as many people stll are using old hardware to do jobs (such as nat
> > boxs and ipfw etc).
>
> Why would you want a 250M root ? I always keep root small, usually the
> default 32M or 40M. It limits the possible damage and makes it much
> easier to restore.
>
> /tmp does not belong in root, but has its own partition, which can be
> 200M if you have it.
>
> The root partition should be as static as possible, IMHO.

--------------8AE054E49F4D8D37B2E6FBA9

Hi all,
process makes a copy of it). Anyway it was difficult to have it work. I
lost /stand and I put /lkm on /usr and I had to delete some binaries in
/bin or /sbin that I don't use.
/sbin /modules /boot /kernel /etc, hmmm there's not much more I think).
I think the root file
As
250M
this