Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 04:30:40 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spring sucks (really :-)

It's flood time again along the Red River (the northern one, not the one
in Texas).  If anyone is curious where all the snow goes when it melts,
check our newspapers web page(s):

http://www.gfherald.com/news/floodwatch.htm
http://www.gfherald.com/news/flood/eyes.htm
http://www2.grand-forks.k12.nd.us/webcam/
http://www.pol.org/floodcam

They expect the river to rise to between 47.5 and 49 feet.  I think that's
above the river bottom, "normal" height is around 13 feet, flood stage is
around 28 feet.  The ironic thing is the worst recorded flood happened in the
spring of 1897 (water was over 50 feet).

Last year, the water got to 45.85 feet, and they had to close one bridge
(water was flowing around it on both sides).  Had the river gotten to 46 feet,
they would have closed the bridge shown in the 3rd url given above.  There was
about a 1 or 2 inch clearance between the water and the middle of the bridge
when I bothered to go look at it (both ends were submerged to about halfway
between the bottom of the bridge and the road).

Yes, I will be having fun later this month when the water does get up...

[ fortunately, the water would have to hit almost 60 feet to reach my house;
  but by then, the entire surrounding area would be completely submerged, so
  I probably wouldn't be caring much, and definately not bragging :-) ].

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
/var/spool/news is 110% full,             | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing