Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:54:40 +0100 (BST)
From:      Joshua Goodall <joshua@roughtrade.net>
To:        <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Variant symlinks

I heard that this topic came up (again!) at the kernel summit. I have a
highly minimalist impl (i.e. substring-replace in vfs_lookup) and have a
genuine interest/need in developing it to fully useful status.

What was discussed/concluded? Is anyone actively working on this with a
goal in sight? (I don't want to duplicate work)

I have ideas of my own which I will summarise as "sysctl vs env: why not
have both configurable" and leave further explication for later.

Whatever happens I think libkern is going to gain a boyer-moore variant.
(when the search-set is known in advance, a strstr clone sucks).

Joshua