Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 1995 23:09:35 -0400
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        tom@haven.uniserve.com
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Buslogic?

    Tom> On Tue, 25 Apr 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

    >> > The BIOS is disabled.  The card is set for e800.
    >>
    >> BINGO... with the BIOS disabled the advanced features are
    >> disabled, thus sync mode is disabled.  E800 is not a valid
    >> address accourding to my 946C manual, or at least not a valid
    >> I/O address. (330,334,230,234,130,134 is what it lists).

    Tom>   e800 is a pci base port.  330, 334, etc are ISA compatible
    Tom> base ports.  When I used 330, FreeBSD detected the card as a
    Tom> ISA device.  I assumed that this was because of 946C 1540
    Tom> compatibiliy mode, so I disabled it.

And then there's my 946C which still insists as showing up as an ISA
device.  The card is in a PCI master slot, the slot's enabled under
CMOS with mastering=enabled.  Under AutoSCSI, it says it's at 334.  I
can't find anyplace in AutoSCSI that refers to `1540 compatibility
mode' or `ISA mode' except ISA DRQ compatiblity setting, which I've
got set to `None'.  Nowhere in the docs does it mention port address
like e800---330, 334, 230, 234, 130, and 134 are the only ones I could
find.

JP4 and JP5 are both jumpered, if that matters.  The card isn't
detected at all if I remove both jumpers---at least one has to be in
place.

I tried booting with -c and setting the I/O port to e800, but the
kernel always reports `bt0 not found at e800'.  At least I get sync
mode.

Any ideas?

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Lab, Boulder Colorado USA

An unknown ensign beams down as part of an away team and lives to tell
the tale.
-- One of 46 things that never happen on Star Trek