Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2000 23:14:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stream.c worst-case kernel paths

:
:Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>
:>     I wouldn't worry about multicast addresses for several reasons.  First, very
:>     few machines actually run a multicast router.  No router, no problem.  Second,
:>     multicast tunnels tend to be bandwidth limited anyway.  Third, from the point
:>     of view of victimizing someone multicast isn't going to get you very far
:>     because we already check for a multicast destination.  We don't really need
:>     to check for a multicast source because it's really no different from a
:>     victimizing point of view as a non-multicast source address.
:
:In my testing this morning, I was running stream against a FreeBSD 3.4-R
:machine with two interfaces, one on a private net and one one our main
:LAN.  When I hit it with stream using random addresses, it was generating
:multicast addresses.  The target machine began flooding the ACKs onto the
:main LAN, even though net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0.
:
:Who needs a multicast router?  I brought 400 machines to their knees and
:completely flooded a frac T-1 from what was supposed to be an *isolated*
:test network.
:
:Wes Peters                                                         Softweyr LLC
:wes@softweyr.com                                           http://softweyr.com/

    Heh heh.  I guess that means I'll have to concede the point.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>