Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 22:42:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Schwenk <pschwenk@crooow.wcupa.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding a new hard disk

Hello everyone,

I know this has been discussed many times before, but I really don't
understand the fdisk and disklabel process involved with preparing a new
hard disk for use.  I've been using FreeBSD for quite some time now, but
never was required to mess with this stuff, sysinstall did it for me.
Now I am adding a SCSI drive to an existing FreeBSD 2.1.0-on-IDE-drive
setup, and, having come from the dullard world of DOS, I don't quite get
what I'm supposed to do.  It's probably terminology that's bogging me
down.  Here's the specifics.  I hope someone will be patient with me and
push me in the right direction.

The computer:
HP Vectra VL4-90MHz Pentium w/ 56MB of RAM
Quantum Bigfoot 2.5GB IDE HD on onboard controller
Adaptec AHA-2940UW SCSI controller
Seagate AT410800W Fast-Wide SCSI-2 HD (~9GB)
Panasonic/Creative Labs CDROM on a SB16 card

I heard that trying to install FreeBSD 2.1.0 onto an IDE disk while a
SCSI disk was present fails because of some bug in the install program.
That's why I unplugged the SCSI card during the installation with the
intention of adding it later.  The kernel sees the SCSI card and disk,
but I'm now stuck at the point where I need to "partition" the SCSI disk,
and that's where I get lost.  I don't know what function the fdisk and
disklabel programs perform.  I want to split the disk into probably two
"partitions" (I'm mired in DOS-think) so they can be newfs'ed with
different parameters.

Could someone please describe how I am to proceed?  I've read the FAQ
discussion on this topic, but I found myself more confused.  If there is
better documentation, please point me toward it.  I'll greatly appreciate
any help you may provide.  Thanks in advance.

- Peter Schwenk, Academic Computing, West Chester University of PA
- pschwenk@wcupa.edu