Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 1996 16:40:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   alarm() problems?

Anybody using qpop 2.1.4-r3 on FreeBSD 2.1, and getting instant "POP
timeouts"?

I've looked at the code in question under the deamon, and in some cases,
alarm() seems to be tripping instantly, or within a couple seconds, when
in actuality, it should've waited something like 120 seconds or so.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to reproduce it at will, although it
is happening with some frequency.  100 or so occurences out of 10k POP
requests so far today.

I am not using the port, but compiled with "44bsd" settings.  Although
from looking at the patch, it doesn't look like these are areas that are
tweaked...

The problem is also not traceable to a specific user, in that they can
check mail 1x and get the error, and the next time it will work fine.