Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:06:19 +1030 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.ft-wayne.in.us>
Cc:        "Michael A. Olson" <mao@sleepycat.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkeley DB port to FreeBSD

On 6 Feb 1999, Don Croyle wrote:

> I took a look at your web site with a view towards updating the port,
> and it appears that the only way to download the current distfile is
> via a cgi-bin script there.  One of the great beauties of the FreeBSD
> ports system is the way it automates the download, building and
> installation process.

It's a cgi script which redirects to a ftp site, probably so the "latest"
version can be tracked without needing to change the html. There's no problem
grabbing the distfiles from there..

On a different note, though, the downloads page only points to the beta
release. For someone using the software in a production environment, it's
probably better to use the stable release, which is what I think I'll update
the port to.

Just another point to the sleepycat guys - have you given thought to
maintaining the FreeBSD package yourselves? It's quite simple to do once you
learn "the ropes" (took me an evening), and it means you take control of
tracking the latest version of your software yourself without having to rely
on a (slack) external maintainer. There are a few other software developers
which do this with their ports already.

Kris

-----
(ASP) Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) announced today that the release of its
productivity suite, Office 2000, will be delayed until the first quarter
of 1901.