Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:48:26 -0700
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net>
To:        "Robert T.G. Tan" <rotan@cs.pdx.edu>
Subject:   Re: XTERM

"Robert T.G. Tan" wrote:

> I tried /etc/ttys:
>
>         ttyv5   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm-color     on  secure
>
> but I didn't get the xterm-color value for TERM.
>
> Also looked for some resource that would define the TERM value, but
> couldn't find it..
>
> tnx, rotan.
>
> Robert T.G. Tan(rotan@cs.pdx.edu)@2001.04.22 12:40:46 +0000:
> > Where does TERM get set, if not in ~/.*rc, or /etc/whatever-default-configs

I by-pass the X resource stuff (which I haven't quite figured out) and
use the following in my .shrc

# for non-X sessions use Java 1.1.8
JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.1.8; export JAVA_HOME

# adjust TERM to color xterm under X
# use linux Java under X
if [ $TERM = "xterm" ]; then
	TERM=xterm-color; export TERM
	JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.0; export JAVA_HOME
fi

# add appropriate java to path
JAVA_PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin
PATH=$JAVA_PATH:$PATH; export PATH

This allows me to do two things:

1) display color directory listings in Gnome-Term, rxvt, and/or eterm;
and
2) switch my java from 1.1.8 to the linux-1.3.0 for all my X sessions
(so that Star Office works somewhat better).

jmc