Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 18:50:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

Mike Smith writes:
> I recently posted asking for opinions as to the desirability of making
> the ISC DHCP tools part of the base system.  The response to this has
> been positive so far, and unless there are subsequent strong objections
> they will be imported contrib-style.
>
> There are, however, a number of issues related to being a good DHCP
> client which impact on the FreeBSD startup scripts.  These issues can
> be resolved in a number of ways, with varying degrees of perturbation
> and complexity.  Some discussion of the possible approaches would seem
> to me to be a good idea.

The way UNIX piles random configuration information all into /etc
has always bugged the crap out of me.  Ideally, /etc should go away
because nothing should be "miscellaneous".. it should all be organized.

Hmm.. what if we created the /var/conf hierarchy...

   /var/conf/

     + ntp/
     |  |
     |  + xntpd.conf

     + dns/
     |  |
     |  + resolv.conf
     |  |
     |  + named/
     |     |
     |     + named.boot
     |     |
     |     + named.hosts
     |     |
     |     + [ etc ]

     + amd/
     |  |
     |  + [ etc ]

     + nfs/
     |  |
     |  + exports

     + ppp/
     |  |
     |  + ppp.conf
     |  |
     |  + ppp.secret

     [ etc ]

Then all you would need would be:

 + Modification to the DHCP client to update these files
 + Script to read /etc/rc.conf and generate these files
 + Transitional symlink pointers from /etc

Would the forces of interia ever allow it?

-Archie