Date:      Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:36:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Yuri Victorovich" <yurivict@hotmail.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel boot hangs on DS7310: SCSI bus reset delivered

Yuri Victorovich writes:
 > I am trying to install FreeBSD-STABLE 4.5 on
 > Alpha DS7310.

I'm not sure what a 7310 is.  Is it similar to a 7305?
Eg, is this a white-box AS4100?

 > Kernel boot hangs in the middle.
 >
 > <...>
 > Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle.
 > (noperiph:sym1:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered
 > (noperiph:sym2:0:-1:-1): SCSI bus reset delivered
 > <hang>
 >
 > I know similar question was asked before but no answer
 > was provided.
 >
 > I will be happy to provide the whole boot log but don't know
 > how to do this on alpha. It's serial port doesn't work for
 > whatever reason and this is just screen output.

What have you tried in the way of debugging the serial port problem?
Are you using a null-modem cable (9600,8,N,1)?

 > Boot floppies were taken from FTP 2 months ago.
 >
 > Any suggestions?

Sym cards have been known to exhibit problems on server class alphas
running 4.x.  This not the sym driver's fault; rather it is due to the
hacky way 4.x deals with multiple PCI hoses (hose is DEQ term for
"peer bus").  The failure mode usually involves lots of warnings from
the driver about various sanity checks failing.

The only suggestion I can make is to try the FreeBSD 5.0 Developer
Preview #1.  5.0 has better support for the multiple hoses used in
server class machines.  As an added bonus, you'll get SMP support.

See http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/DP1/announce.html for a list
of mirror sites, etc.

Drew