Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:33:36 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Bruce Phillips <brucep@electricrodeo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I tell what release I have?

On Mon 2001-02-05 (23:47), Bruce Phillips wrote:
> I sure it sounds dump, but i can tell what version of BSD , I just
> bought at frys. The disks are labeled as FreeBSD toolkit 5.0-current,
> June 2000.

That's the development branch (named -CURRENT).

> yet according to your web site. version 5.0 is'nt due for 2 months &
> your june 2000 release appears to be version 3.5?

That's the last (almost) release on the 3.x series production (-STABLE)
branch.  It came out after FreeBSD 4.0, the first release on the 4.x
series production branch.

> what am I missing here?

It's not really hard to understand after it has been explained.

3.0 (production) --- 3.x --- 3.4 --- 3.5 (end of line)
\   (well-tested changes only)           (security and bug fixes only)
 \
  \- (4.0 development) -------- 4.0-RELEASE (production) --- 4.1
     (full-on development)      \           (well-tested changes only)
                                 \
                                  \- (5.0 development)
                                     (full-on development)

Or something like that.