Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 12:35:02 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Giuseppe Pagnoni <gpagnon@emory.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux programs accessing non-linux programs

In the last episode (Oct 24), Giuseppe Pagnoni said:
> I have been having trouble figuring out how to make linux programs
> (installed and running under /compat/linux) access other FreeBSD
> binaries that are *not* located under /compat/linux.  For instance, I
> am running linux-thunderbird and when I want to open a *.doc file
> attachment, thunderbird asks me which application I would like to
> use: I would like to point it to /usr/X11R6/bin/abiword , but
> unfortunately when I chdir to /usr/X11R6/bin in the dialog box, it
> goes actually to /compat/linux/usr/X11R6/bin (and abiword is *not*
> there).  Is there a way to make linux programs be able to jump out of
> /compat/linux/ when looking for helper applications?

If you specify the full path instead of browsing to the directory, it
should work.  When linux programs ask for files, the kernel first looks
in /compat/linux/, then /.

If you need to be able to browse to files, you can try null mounting /
and /usr into /compat/linux/realroot, then browse through that.  Or, if
you have amd enabled, browse through /net/localhost/...

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com