Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:17:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Ihsan Junaidi Ibrahim <ihsan_junaidi@yahoo.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolving hostname takes too long

I am not certain why resolving external names from that machine go slow,
but the reason ssh and ftp connections to that machine may be taking a
while to establish is that it does a reverse dns lookup (address
resolution) on the clients connecting to it.

You can speed this up by allowing dynamic DNS updates on your internal
DNS server and setting up your DHCP server to perform the updates as it
hands out IP addresses.

man dhcpd
man named
man named.conf
man dhcpd.conf

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com
AOL IM: CrackedBoy

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not
become a monster. And when you look long into an abyss, the abyss also
looks into you." -- Friedrich Nietzsche (Beyond Good and Evil)