Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:12:42 -0700
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>, clefevre@citeweb.net, Akbar <Akbar@Aptitude.com.sg>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wats so special about freeBSD?

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 11:27:50PM -0500, Laurence Berland wrote:
> I think people tend to assume that because... [snip]
> they have done the big code audit, that they are more secure.

[snip]

> I don't think OpenBSD has much over FreeBSD in terms of quality
> of code, but the perception sort of persists because they are always
> pushing themselves as security.
>
> Am I crazy?

No, you are not. You partially answered your own question. OpenBSD is
considered more secure because,

 (a) "They have done the big code audit." (You got that one.)
 (b) They ship a secure default.

Not FreeBSD, nor any other open source OS I am aware of, has done
(a). FreeBSD sacrifices (b) for having some stuff work "out of the
box."

I use FreeBSD and it cannot be said FreeBSD is not one of the more
secure OSes out there (with the standard caveat, "when properly
configured"), but I think OpenBSD has every right to make the claims
they do.