Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:21:48 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Jamie Pemantell <techbot2@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern.securelevel not working like it's supposed to

Jamie Pemantell <techbot2@yahoo.com> types:
> I've tried:
> 1. Issuing the sysctl -w command as root to change the
> kern.securelevel variable value to 0. (Gives
> "Operation not permitted" message.)

Won't work, as you've found out.

> 2. Commenting out lines in rc.conf that refer to
> kern.securelevel. In theory, this should use the
> default values from /etc/defaults/rc.conf (level -1).

This should work after you reboot the system.

> 3. Commenting out the last lines of /etc/rc that refer
> to changing securelevel.

This should also work, but is bad practice.

> According to material on the web, one or all of these
> should stop the securelevel from being changed when
> the system goes into multiuser mode. However, INIT
> still changes the secure level from 0 to 1 every time
> the boot completes.

Something is clearly wrong, as the system starts at -1, not 0.  You
probably have to trace through the rc script - and any other scripts
it runs - to find what's changing things, and then fix that.

> Am I missing something? I thought that the config info
> for INIT was stored in rc.conf, but that doesn't seem
> to be the case. Any help would be appreciated, and I'd
> be grateful if you'd copy me on the reply.

That's SOP on this list.

	<mike