Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:01:23 -0500
From:      "Seth Henry" <jshamlet@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   A/V X terminal HOWTO?

Hello,
I am looking at turning some Compaq IA-1 web terminals into X terminals. I
tried using local software, but there wasn't enough RAM left after building
RAM disks. They do, however, work very well as remote displays.

Right now, I slogin to my main FreeBSD server and window Mozilla back. The
local display runs the window manager. This works, but I would like to
automate it - and add audio. Does anyone know of a howto on setting up xdm
to login to a remote system? Also, has anyone messed with the network audio
system? The goal is to be able to run a copy of xmms on the app server, and
have the audio generated by the local sound hardware.

Right now, I am looking at using Linux, because there is an existing setup
(Midori), which contains the bulk of what I need (and it fits on the 16MB
SanDisk). I can, however, run FreeBSD from a microdrive, though the
microdrive introduces some nasty latencies.

Any help or pointers appreciated. Lastly, if someone has setup a system like
this, what kind of app server should I look at? Right now, I figure there
will be two of these terminals. The existing server is a dual pentium pro
200 with 256Mb of RAM. Currently, it seems like I am more band limited due
to the 10Mbps USB NIC than the memory or processors on the host.

Thanks,
Seth Henry