Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:42:34 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        Brian McDonald <brian@lustygrapes.net>
Cc:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syslogd blocking => can't su to root

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 01:59:03PM -0500, Brian McDonald wrote:
> The boxes I've noticed this on are 4.1-RELEASE boxes.  Kernel configs are
> essentially GENERIC with devices removed that aren't present on the system
> (eisa, scsi cards, net cards, etc).  Both have IPFIREWALL.  One runs named
> and sshd, the other runs named, sshd, and postfix.  At the time of the
> failures, both ran syslogd with the -s argument.  Nothing really out of
> the ordinary except for the fact that both have been running for a year
> and half straight.  (okay, on BSD that isn't out of the ordinary.)  Both
> are hooked up to a Belkin KVM - can a twitchy ps2 mouse/keyboard irritate
> the console driver?

Ours is also connected to a KVM switch, and that switch uses the scroll lock
key to bring up a menu of machines it's connected to (I've never seen it, but
that's how it was described to me). Someone else suggested that maybe scroll
lock was on on the first virtual terminal, causing the console to block. This
seems likely to be the cause of the problem, and I'll have someone check it out
when the office opens back up after the holiday.

Chris

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM

--yrj/dFKFPuw6o+aM--