Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 15:58:47 -0600
From:      Clayton Tycksen <clay@tycksen.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   freebsd box as a porn filter?

Dear FreeBSD,

I'm relatively new to Unix.  A good friend of mine has converted me to
FreeBSD, and I'm enjoying it.
I do have a question-  as the administrator of a small network, I'm
wondering if it's possible to set up FreeBSD on a box and have it
perform filtering of pornography.  I realise that I can set up a FreeBSD
box to perform packet filtering (although I still need to figure out how
to do that, exactly).  But I'd like to prohibit nodes on our network
from viewing pornographic material, and a few other general websites.  I
do not have an external 'router' per se - We have an ISDN connection to
our ISP (which does not provide filtering).

I've looked at available hardware designed specifically for spam and
porn filtering for networks, but the price of the hardware is too high
for my small network of 15 nodes and 2 servers.

Any suggestions?

--
Clayton Tycksen
Network Administrator