Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:23:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "T. William Wells" <bill@twwells.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.1: X is misbehaving on exit

I have X starting from rc.d, using xdm. I get the login display
just fine and I can use the X display without any trouble.
However, if I try to switch to another virtual console, I get the
virtual console display, however, my keyboard input appears to go
nowhere. If I try to switch vc's again, I get a beep. The system
is operational; I can telnet in. The keyboard is, too -- I can
control alt del to reboot.

If I start xdm from a root login, I get a similar effect. However,
when I try to switch vc's, it goes to v0 (which is where I started
it), not to the vc assigned to the F key I use.

Finally, if I try to shut the thing down using its shutdown menu
item, I get the background, a frozen mouse, and about the only
thing I can do with my keyboard is control alt del -- not even
beeps when I try to switch vc's.

Ideas?