Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 1995 16:23:32 -0800
From:      "Frank O'Donnell" <frank@jplpio.jpl.nasa.gov>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hard disk read error

We've just installed FreeBSD 2.0 on an older 386/25 PC with
8 megs of RAM and a 150-MB IDE drive that we intend to use
as a dedicated majordomo server.

After letting the machine run over the weekend, today the
following error message was on the console:

   wd0a: soft ecc reading fsbn 3993 of 3992-3999
      (wd0 bn 3993; cn 12 tn 6 sn 3)wd0;
      status 5c<seekdone,drq,ecc_cor> error 0

I gather that an error occurred trying to read from the
hard disk in the root partition.  However, what I'm not sure
of is how serious the error is, whether we should be concerned
about it, and what, if anything, we can do about it.  Can
anyone shed any light?  Thanks much.

Frank
frank@jplpio.jpl.nasa.gov