Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 16:32:40 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: consulta

OK boys and girls, how about a list of the lessons we learn here?

Nobody deliberately does the wrong thing, so let's start making
_helpful_ suggestions for posting to the mailing lists.

We need to post effectively so that we'll be taken seriously among the
big boys who think it's all "common sense", and so that we will be seen
as friendly by those who form their first impressions of us when they
stumble into one of our lists.

Most of this stuff is in the resources for this mailing list, but
speak up if you don't understand or feel strongly against anything.

I'll start, you follow:

* If someone writes to an English language list in another language,
  any response should include the English translations.
  Why? Because us monolinguals expect to see what's going on, and
  because the person who posted might be monolingual too, and because
  it'll keep the rabid monolinguals quiet.

* If someone writes to an English language list in another language,
  the response should politely direct them to whatever mailing list
  and/or other information is available in their own language.
  Why? Because they deserve to have access to the most convenient
  resources, and because people able to respond should also be able
  (and be bothered) to provide the necessary pointers.

* ???

* ???

--

Regards,