Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 21:03:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bridging Tunnel

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, Jim Brown wrote:

> * Dan Mahoney, System Admin <danm@prime.gushi.org> [2002-09-02 15:14]:
> > Hi, here's the situation.  We have two points of presence and we're
> > migrating all our machines from one to the other.  We're looking to
> > establish a tunnel between these two locations such that ARP is either
> > transparent or easily configurable.  Additionally, we'd like to be able to
> > set routes so that any outbound traffic for these machines just goes
> > straight out to the net, instead of back through the tunnel (I cant find a
> > way to announce our routes to both places at once), and don't think it's
> > possible.
>
> Not exactly sure what you want.  Seems that you want to take packets
> in from the remote end via a tunnel, but send packets to the remote end
> via a different route.  (Asynchronous routing is generally a Bad Thing(TM)).

I think he wants to leave the computers on the same subnet once they are
moved.  Take a look the IETF's Pseudo-Wire Emulation Edge to Edge (PWE3)
workgroup, at: http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/pwe3-charter.html

Basically, he wants a bridge between the two sites.  You could do this
with VLANs or MPLS, but that's not any help if you don't have direct
connectivity (ie: a fiber link) between the two sites.  You could also
bridge the two sites using wireless APs, but that might not be an option.

Encapsulating Layer 2 inside of Layer 3 would create A LOT of traffic to
pass over the Internet, or any other kind of link for that matter.
Because of that, it's probably not really worthwhile to do anything like
this.

However, if you ignore that fact, you could have a program running on a
FreeBSD (or similar) machine that puts the LAN interface into promiscuous
mode and take all of the received packets, encapsulate them
inside an IP packet.  The program would then send the packet to a specific
port another machine.  The program running on the receiving machine would
decapsulate the IP packets that it receives, and then send these frames
out on it's LAN interface.

I don't know if anything like this exists already .. ?