Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 11:38:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: double fault with vinum and 4.5 RC3

Hi,

Here is the config, before I exchanged da0 with a raw disk.

# Vinum configuration of , saved at Fri Jan 25 09:44:32 2002
drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/da0e
drive vinumdrive1 device /dev/da1e
drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/da0f
drive vinumdrive3 device /dev/da1f
drive vinumdrive4 device /dev/da0g
drive vinumdrive5 device /dev/da1g
volume var
volume docsis
volume docsisvar
plex name var.p0 org concat vol var
plex name var.p1 org concat vol var
plex name docsis.p0 org concat vol docsis
plex name docsis.p1 org concat vol docsis
plex name docsisvar.p0 org concat vol docsisvar
plex name docsisvar.p1 org concat vol docsisvar
sd name var.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive0 plex var.p0 len 2096887s driveoffset 265s
plexoffset 0s
sd name var.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive1 plex var.p1 len 2096887s driveoffset 265s
plexoffset 0s
sd name docsis.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive2 plex docsis.p0 len 12582647s driveoffset
265s plexoffset 0s
sd name docsis.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive3 plex docsis.p1 len 12582647s driveoffset
265s plexoffset 0s
sd name docsisvar.p0.s0 drive vinumdrive4 plex docsisvar.p0 len 46515878s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s
sd name docsisvar.p1.s0 drive vinumdrive5 plex docsisvar.p1 len 46515878s
driveoffset 265s plexoffset 0s

I guess I know what makes the trouble. To be able to boot ! from da0, which also
has a root partition on it, I changed SCSI ID's, so my old da1 got da0. And
vinum cannot deal with this.

I really should be able to tell vinum that vinumdrive1 is indead vinumdrive2,
since the device ordering has changed.

But I really do not want to restore my root partition from backup, if I still
have a working cold mirror. That is nonsense.

> vinum list?

eblcom# vinum list
3 drives:
D vinumdrive1           State: up       Device /dev/da0s1e      Avail: 0/1024 MB
D vinumdrive3           State: up       Device /dev/da0s1f      Avail: 0/6144 MB
D vinumdrive5           State: up       Device /dev/da0s1g      Avail: 0/22712 MB
D vinumdrive0           State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
D vinumdrive2           State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB
D vinumdrive4           State: referenced       Device  Avail: 0/0 MB

3 volumes:
V var                   State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       1023 MB
V docsis                State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:       6143 MB
V docsisvar             State: up       Plexes:       2 Size:         22 GB

6 plexes:
P var.p0              C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:       1023 MB
P var.p1              C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       1023 MB
P docsis.p0           C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:       6143 MB
P docsis.p1           C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:       6143 MB
P docsisvar.p0        C State: faulty   Subdisks:     1 Size:         22 GB
P docsisvar.p1        C State: up       Subdisks:     1 Size:         22 GB

6 subdisks:
S var.p0.s0             State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       1023 MB
S var.p1.s0             State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       1023 MB
S docsis.p0.s0          State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:       6143 MB
S docsis.p1.s0          State: up       PO:        0  B Size:       6143 MB
S docsisvar.p0.s0       State: crashed  PO:        0  B Size:         22 GB
S docsisvar.p1.s0       State: up       PO:        0  B Size:         22 GB

It seems to me that reviveing the mirrors does not work as supposed.

By the way. I found the command which made such problems:

have a configfile like such:

# cat /root/configfile
drive vinumdrive0 device /dev/da1e
drive vinumdrive2 device /dev/da1f
drive vinumdrive4 device /dev/da1g

and execute

vinum create /root/configfile twice ! makes STABLE 4.5RC3 crashing with a double
fault. I guess we should fix that. I'm makeing now a debug kernel.

If I try to take the configfile as described above, from the original creation,
I get vinum hanging and get unkillable, or I get a segfault from vinum. (Both
happened)

Martin