Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:07:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parallelport Problems

Dear Sirs.
I administer several FreeBSD boxes (now FBSD 3.4-RC). One of them plays
the role of our printserver of our institute. This box is equippted with
AMD K6-2 500 MHz CPU, GigaByte GA-5AA main PCB with ALi 1542 100MHz Aladin-V
chipset, NIC is 3COM 3C905B 100Mbit fullduplex mode, memory 128 MB FSB100,
Adaptec 2940U controller and an additional parallel port card, made in china!
This additional parallelport card seems to be the troublesome unit on ISA bus
but the problem occurs with other multi i/o cards running the parallelport.
One of our printers is attached to this port an whenever a printjob is
queued and sent to the printer via parallelport, the server is unreachable
over the network. Ping latencies pushes up from 0.200 ms to 16 ms and higher.
Printing over the built in parallelport does not reveal this phenomenon.

Both ports are using IRQs and DMA, port 1 has IRQ 7, dirq 1, port 2 has IRQ 5, dirq 7.
The additional card is capable of EPP 1.9 and I set the flag for this in kernel
config file. So far all things seems to be all right. But why is the usage of any
IO card, especially the parallel port on additional cards blocking the PCI bus?
Is this a misconfiguartion? I tried all possibilities in BIOS configuration, I used
the most moderate options but with no effect. Then I used the fastest modes, no effect.
STill the same, printing or sending data over parallel port 2 blocks the NIC and slows
maybe down SCSI controller.

Maybe this problem is related to the chipset. I was said that the VIA chipset for Socket7
was the most popular chipset and I suggested for myself to order a new main PCB with
this chipset but who can guarantee that this problem is not occuring on this chipset as it
does on ALi chipset?

Is anybody out there who has an idea? Hints, tips? Does anyone know what the problem is caused by?
Well, any tips, hints, suggestions are appreciated and highly welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

Gruss O. Hartmann