Date:      16 Feb 1999 16:57:45 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISO-8859-1 characters in an xterm

David Petrou <dpetrou@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> I'm having trouble seeing ISO-8859-1 accent characters on my FreeBSD
> box. [...] I'm guessing it has something to do with my shell/env variables.

Probably you are using the 7-bit default "C" environment.

export LANG=en_US.ISO_8859-1

(Depending on your language preference you might find something else
desirable. Check out /usr/share/locale for some alternatives.)

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
    carpe librum: books 'n' reviews <URL:http://www.carpe.com/buch/>;