Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:31:17 -0500
From:      mh <mheyes@concentric.net>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: can't build Evolution: Solution?

Joe Clarke wrote:

> > > Well, libfreetype is part of the print/freetype2 port, but it's at
> > > so.7 now. It looks like part of your ports tree is stale and
> > > possibly goofed up anyway. I'd try deleting it and getting a new
> > > one if you can (my apologies if you already tried that).
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ray Kohler
> > > "Have you lived here all your life?"
> > > "Oh, twice that long."
> >

> > If anything is stale and goofed-up, it would be me. I use CVSup to keep
> > ports current nightly. I decided to try again (sitting in front of the
> > box, not at work):
> >
> > 1. removed /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6 (in keeping with problem
> > report ports/30813)
> > 2. checked and print/freetype2 port is installed, and libfreetype.so.7
> > was installed in /usr/local/lib
> > 3. deinstalled / reinstalled evolution
> > 4. tried running evolution. failed with "/usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
> > shared object "libfreetype.so.6" not found
> > 5. made link from /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6 to
> > /usr/local/lib/freetype.so.7
> > 6. deinstalled / reinstalled evolution. probably not necessary.
> > 7. ran evolution, works fine.
> >
> > So, it works, with the link. Until libfreetype.so.8 get installed. Now,
> > is this a problem with the evolution port?
>
> Maxim recently upgraded freetype2 and evolution to chase the new library
> number.  The problem iis really with ever-changing lib numbers.  When a
> library major number changes (like freetype.7 to .8), you really have two
> choices: 1. keep the old version of the lib around for your old
> applications, 2. upgrade the library, and all the ports it depends on.
>
> The portupgrade tool makes 2 a snap.  Just do:
>
> portupgrade -f -r freetype2
>
> After cvsup'ing a current ports tree.
>
> Symlinking can be a bad idea since library differences can cause core
> dumps or other unexpected behavior.
>
> Joe

I tried portupgrade -f -r freetype2 but still evolution complained about
a missing /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so.6.Tried portupgrade -f -r
evolution too, same result. I've got to ask if you have evolution
installed and working without the symlink (I changed the symlink to
point to the new libfreetype.so.8). Did all the above after cvsup'ing
the ports tree. Is it just me, or are others having a similar problem?

Got a newbie-type question too: It seems that binary upgrades can lead
to different version of the same program being installed, and I assume
this is even more the case doing a Release upgrade, say from 4.3 to 4.4.
I use ports and portupgrade to keep programs current, but what about
system files? Is there some place to read how to do this? Is it best
done by getting the next release and upgrading through
/stand/sysinstall?

thanks,

michael heyes
--