Date:      Sat, 1 Jun 1996 16:11:38 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hdalog@zipnet.net
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, dufault@hda.zipnet.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Breaking ffs - speed enhancement?

> > You would still have to keep the update marks somewhere :-).  They
> > should compress very well since they are only 1 bit to begin with
> > and have a steady state value of 1 :-).
>
> You need update marks, but if you don't need to change them from
> marks to time stamps when the files are closed you reduce the
> overhead of a file system full of many small files being thrashed
> open and closed.  No, I haven't thought through the benefits and
> drawbacks - I'll shutup.

Don't do that.  8-).

The problem is not that the semantics require the conversion, but that
the conversion, using the current cache schema, requires more writes
than you would want it to require.

If you can increase cache locality, you can reduce the writes without
giving up the semantics.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---