Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 09:22:08 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Richard Johnson <raj@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/X11 on NEC Daylite?

Richard Johnson wrote:

> A little while ago I asked about FreeBSD on an NEC LaVie MX2.  I have
> now come to the understanding that this is actually marketed outside
> of Japan as the NEC Daylite.  I'm wondering if anyone has gotten their
> hands on one of these and tried FreeBSD/XFree86 on it.
>
> Here are the issues I'm curious about:
>
> 1) It comes with a USB CD-ROM drive and no floppy drive.  I'm
> wondering if the FreeBSD installation code will be able to read from
> this.

Probably not.  IIRC most USB CD-ROMs are still unsupported.

> 2) It has a builtin 10/100 ethernet.  Is this usable under FreeBSD?

Probably.  FreeBSD supports most common 10/100 adaptors.  If you got
the actual chipset you could look it up in the hardware compatability
list.

> 3) The screen used an ATI Mobility-M chip set.  I've seen some
> information about patches for XFree86 4.0.1 in order to make this work
> and I've seen other info saying the X server crashes on the LaVie MX
> under Linux about once every week or so.  Any info there?

I've used XFree with the ATI Rage Mobility-M1.  I don't know if that's
the same chipset or not.  That was with a stock 4.0.1.  I think most
common ATI chipsets are supported at this time.

> 4) If I have to remove the hard drive and install onto it using
> another computer, is it compatible with other IDE systems?  The reason
> I ask is that I currently have an AST Ascentia-P, an IBM Thinkpad
> 755C, and a Libretto 110CT, and the IDE drives between all three can't
> be booted on any of the others!  (I understand there's a pin issue
> with the Thinkpad, but I don't understand the problems between the
> Libretto and the AST - maybe BIOS version?)

I'm surprised there's a pinout difference between the various
microdrives.  I'd have expected them to be mostly compatable
once you pulled them out of the sled.  The good news is that
even if you can't do a CD install, the network install will
probably work (or if the internal ethernet isn't supported you
can buy a PCMCIA ethernet card and do the install over that).

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer