Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:07:14 +0200
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another problem with the new CAM error handling

As Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

> >I thought a UA condition would always be retried?  In particular,
> >it should never end up in an `invalidating device' message.
>
> The peripheral driver must specify that the UA condition should
> be retried in its call to cam_periph_error().  The pt driver must
> not do that.  The new error recovery code isn't responsible for
> this error.

Hmm, but it used to work with the old CAM error handling code. ;-)

Anyway, looking at the pt driver, it seems to go length to handle
SF_RETRY_UA, differentiating various cases.  I think it would already
properly ignore it after a bus reset or bus device reset.  In my case
however, it's a UA after a device power-on.  IMHO that's the only
possibility for an UA that has been left out, so why bother and not
always ignore them?

The other thing that is annoying is that, after the `invalidating
device', it takes another power-off, camcontrol rescan, power-on, and
camcontrol rescan cycle in order to revive the device, since even a
simple rescan leaves the device invalidated.  IMHO, there should at
least be a `camcontrol forget' option to completely abandon a device
without the need to power it off, and rescan the bus.