Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:46:39 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Bill Schoolcraft" <bill@wiliweld.com>, "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

When discussing desktops and servers in context together, here
is the definition:

Server:  That which is intended and generally provides services to desktops,
over the network.

Desktop:  That which is primary purpose is to serve as a user interface
between the human and the services provided by servers on the network.

But, before we forget, there's one other type of system:

standalone:  A host that is intended and generally uses services that it
provides itself, and where network connectivity is not particularly critical
to it's operation.

Basically, a desktop is used by one person to access resources
on the network.  A server is used by many people that are accessing
it's resources over the network.  A standalone is used by a person that's
only using services provided by that machine - regardless of whether it's
connected to a network or not.

Of course, many corporate networks are somewhat fuzzy, in that often
users may spend much time running Word or Excel and just using their
own desktop's resources.  But, then when it's time to share their
files they copy them up to a server, or e-mail them to each other,
they usually don't share out sections of their hard disk.  In these
cases the intent, particular by the corporation, is that the desktop
system does not provide services on the network.  Also, the intent
by the corporation is that the user assigned to the desktop use it
to access other network resources, particularly shared calendaring,
e-mail, files, etc.  Also, Word and Excel are primariarly user interfaces
to the actual physical data in the computer.

What's confusing is that many people have taken the word desktop used it
when they are talking about a consumer standalone system.  One rule of thumb
is that if you can pull the network connection out of it and not notice,
it's
probably a standalone.  What most people forget is that a true standalone
has pretty stiff requirements - because in addition to serving as the user
interface to the human, the standalone needs to have enough power to
have resources worth using at all.  This is why larger corporations don't
run
peer-to-peer networks and they also centralize serving - because it's
cheaper with a large deployment of PC's to make most of them just barely
powerful enough to service a decent user interface.