Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 11:35:24 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to disable boot -s ??

> From: "Sudirman Hassan" <s9810048@mmu.edu.my>
> To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
> Subject: How to disable boot -s ??
> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:23:18 +0800
>
> Hi,
>
> I got a lab session just now on tcp/ip using freebsd box in comp lab.
> I become very irrirated to the way system admin ( windows admin actually )
> set the box so I just trying boot -s. mount -a and then copy bin/sh into
> other directory where I can access as a user later ( with other name
> called game *grin* and set suid and well as guid.
>
> Whenever I boot back, it seem what I did working, I can install kde2 and
> as well other app I like.
>
> Seeing what I can done in first try, I become horror that somebody else
> might come to my dorm, and do the same to my pc. How can I disable boot -s?
>
> Thanks.
> - deman

roman@roman ~ > cat /etc/ttys

<snip />

# status Must be on or off.  If on, init will run the getty program on
#        the specified port.  If the word "secure" appears, this tty
#        allows root login.
#
# name  getty                           type    status          comments
#
# If console is marked "insecure", then init will ask for the root
# password
# when going to single-user mode.
console none                            unknown off secure

<snip />

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
11:31AM up 6 days, 22:14, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.03, 0.01