Date:      Sun, 9 Jan 2000 13:35:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        Ilia Chipitsine <ilia@cgilh.chel.su>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie has a lot of questions...

>not exactly.
>having modules allows you not to recompile kernel at all.
>why should I recompile kernel if I want to add support to sound card ?
>I'm not using sound stuff anymore ? so, unload the module.
>
>_without_ kernel recompiling, _without_ reboot.
>isn't it just as good ?!
>
>modules are lovely ...

Yep, that would be nice if more things in FreeBSD were more modular,
especially when you are toying with drivers or hardware, but IMHO once I
am set on what configurations I want to run, I'd rather have one kernel
with everything I need(want) and have the option to disable module loading
completely for security reasons.  Also I wouldnt want to be stuck without
network access if my network card module got damaged, etc.  Also, if you
are going to have particular modules loaded all the time like network
card, sound, etc, why bother having them seperate?