Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 22:05:32 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: broken pipe

At 02:12 31-12-1998 +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>Hmmm. Take a Win95 PC with ~15MB free space and _without_ QuickTime v3
>installed, then install IBM World Book 99. It'll install, then decide it
>needs to install QT v3 and then bomb out (& lock up) 'coz you ain't got
>enough disk space. The only way out is a 3 finger salute which leaves a
>partially installed World Book and all the QT install files in your temp
>dir.

Ouch! I guess I was lucky. I can honestly tell that the programs I have
installed did check for the available space.

>Windows 95 fool-proof computing...NOT. At least with Unix you have
>control.

Oh, I agree. I am not trying to praise Windows (if I were I would not be
trying so hard to get my FreeBSD up and running!). I just have to admit
that even they occasionally do have a good idea. Alas, that is quite rare.

I *am* fed up with Windows. But I like to be objective. If they
occasionally come up with a good idea, I will not deny it. At least in
THEORY, they are pushing for making computers usable by anyone. They
probably have ulterior motives (if everyone can use it, everyone will buy
it from them), but I do like the IDEA. I certainly do not like the way they
implement the idea, though, but that's an entirely another can of worms.

Adam

           ===> Whiz Kid Technomagic <===
             http://www.whizkidtech.net/
    The resource center for webmasters and web users
       Winner of the Starting Point Hot Site award
            Winner of the Lighthouse Award
             Home of the Web Magic Award