Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 04:54:38 GMT
From:      marcus@vastnet.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ZIP disk booting in 4.1-RELEASE

Hi all.  I'm looking for some resources or tips for using Iomega Zip disks with FreeBSD.
I've found handbook entries and examples that explain in pretty good detail how to use
msdos filesystems.  I'm looking to do something a bit different, though.

It seems as if Zip disks must use the "c" partition to use the whole disk.  That's fine,
I've used disklabel and newfs to setup a partition and filesystem on /dev/afd0c.  However,
I am completely at a loss as to how to get this thing to boot.   I've tried using
disklabel on both /dev/afd0 and /dev/afd0c, as well as the /dev/afd0s4 partition that
disklabel creates by default.  I've tried using different stages of the boot loader to no
avail.  The BIOS does support booting from Zips, however I'm baffled as to what I'm doing
wrong.

Also note that I've manually made bootable floppy disks, using disklabel and copying the
requisite files from /boot, so I'm not totally unfamiliar with the process.

Am I doing something which isn't supported at all? or am I just going about in the wrong
manner?

Many thanks,
Mark Staudinger
marcus@vastnet.net