Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 22:35:30 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joe@zircon.seattle.wa.us>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse flags?

OK, where is the documentation for the psm driver so I can attempt to
figure out the design decisions behind it and solve the problems?  You
keep saying that it won't get fixed unless someone does it, where is the
record of the original design and all changes made since?

Where is the evidence that the so-called checksum calculation actually
operates correctly?  If it operates correctly and discovers
communication errors, then I would expect that if I disable it after
getting thousands of "out of sync" errors, that the mouse should behave
erratically, if at all.  Instead, the mouse behaves erratically if I
don't disable the checksum calculation, leading me to believe that the
algorithm is incorrect and is making false determinations of whatever it
is supposed to determine.  As it is, if I disable it, the mouse behaves
smoothly and without error.  Therefore, I assume that the calculation is
worthless and should be discarded.

Where is the evidence that any errors have ever occurred on the ps2
port?  What sort of errors should one expect to occur?  Surely not
parity errors.  The only possible errors are if you use a mechanical
switch (such as Mike Smith) and you flip the switch in the middle of a
mouse operation. . Therefore, I would expect Mike Smith to experience a
multitude of errors, whereas those of us using electronic KVM switches
should never experinece a single error.

Again, where is the evidence that the so-called error detection code in
the psm driver serves any purpose whatsoever, except to cause people to
get confused over system settings and operation.  Please show evidence
that the code works and actually detects malformed mouse packets and
justifies its inclusion in the kernel, or else throw it out.  The
evidence I have is that it causes problems and has never prevented a
single problem.

/Joe