Date:      Sat, 10 Mar 2001 21:56:37 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

In message <200103110348.f2B3m3N03479@mass.dis.org>, Mike Smith writes:
>The FreeBSD project already has a BSD/OS source distribution, however the
>required information is NOT THERE.  Ok?

Okay.  I just figured I'd ask, since it's information I have.

Hmm.

Out of idle curiousity, has the NIH syndrome died down enough that it might
hypothetically be possible for the three major *BSD camps to cooperate on this
kind of thing?  Form an organization the purpose of which is to get access
to driver docs *for all three systems*?  An organization which can claim to
represent 2N or 3N users, instead of N, *might* be able to get people to
listen more closely... Especially if it maintained a page describing hardware
and vendor relations, and a lot of people got in the habit of linking to it.
Does Intel care if there's a page saying "Intel has refused to provide specs,
so we are obliged to recommend Frobozz Magic Ethernet instead"?  Probably not,
but they *might*.  More than they care about mutterings on mailing lists,
certainly.

-s