Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 10:23:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Senator Santorum

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Larry Sica wrote:

> The US still has some issues in regards to things like this.  Recently
> a high ranking republican made some comments that could be construed as
> very anti-gay (I think they were) and has made them in the past.  The
> gist was he equated homosexuality with incest, polygamy and bestiality
> iirc.

That is certainly how it's being REPORTED, but that's not actually what he
said:

"And if the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex
within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to
polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery.
You have the right to anything."

You can find more context here:
http://www.ncsfreedom.org/news/bigotedsen.htm

The annoying thing about what he said from the standpoint of the gay
rights folks is that he's right. It really is a slippery legal slope.
(Note, I didn't say that it's a bad thing, I just said he's right.) So, in
order to discredit his arguably justifiable concern, the gay rights folks
are trying to paint him as a bigot and a homophobe (whatever that is
supposed to mean).

Doug