Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:02:14 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        tomb <tomb@cgf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compaq proliant 1850R won't boot with new SMP kernel.

These boxes can be a real pain in the rear.  You'll need to boot the
config CD and get into the system setup stuff in order to tweak the MP
mode.

Here's some information relating to the 1600; AFAIK the 1850 is going to
be very similar:

---8<---snip---8<---

Many thanks to Steven J. Bauer for the pointer. I now have SMP
working like a charm on the machine. The secret was to consult
the web page:

   http://potter.ieee.uh.edu/compaq.html

The summary is that I had to install the Compaq Configuration
Utility onto the hard drive (using the Smartstart CD), reboot and
press F10 to enter the Config Utility. At the first selection
screen, press Ctrl-A to enter the advanced config (a dialogue
box pops up to confirm) and select 'Configure Hardware'. Choose
the manual configure (i.e: don't auto-detect) and skip to the
'Edit and Review details' menu. Move down to the 'APIC option'
and set to 'Full Table' (nothing else). Save and reboot and
if your kernel is SMP aware, you should be away.  :-)