Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 2014 00:07:13 -0400
From:      "Chad J. Milios" <milios@ccsys.com>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Solaris dual-boot, problems with time (ntpd)

> On Jul 9, 2014, at 10:09 PM, Noel Hunt <noel.hunt@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I have a dual-boot machine, running ntpd in both OSes, but when
> I switch from one OS to the other the time is wildly out.
>=20
> Can someone explain what is going on please?
>=20
> Noel Hunt

Does your CMOS clock (aka BIOS) keep wallclock time or universal time? Eithe=
r OS probably has the opposite idea.

If you never boot DOS/Windows, your BIOS should probably keep universal time=
.

Each OS has a way to let it know if that is or is not the case. In FreeBSD, i=
f any file exists at /etc/wall_cmos_clock then the kernel treats the CMOS cl=
ock as the local time. If that file does not exist then the default is that t=
he CMOS clock represents universal coordinated time (aka UTC). I don't use S=
olaris enough to tell you its equivalent procedure from memory but it has th=
e same toggle in there somewhere.

(My knowledge of this is decades old. Can someone else confirm this is still=
 the canonical way to set this preference in FreeBSD?)=