Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:05:50 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        amor@geop.ubc.ca (John Amor)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP6020i CDR fails on fixation

As John Amor wrote:

>   # wormcontrol fixate 1
>   wormcontrol: ioctl(WORMIOFIXATION): Input/output error

Well, the SCSI error is important here.  It translates into an EIO in
the driver level -- that's the only thing the driver could do.  The
SCSI error itself will be syslogged.

> F.Y.I.  More background...
>
> The HP-4020i scsi command info is in the http://www.hp.com/isgsupport/cdr
> under product info.

>  The following lists the supported SCSI commands. An extensive description
> of the total command set is avaliable on request.

Hmm, but sure, we did already send a SCSI command, so this list is not
of much use. :-)

What's more important is looking up the ASC/ASCQ combination in that
docs (additional sense code, additional sense code qualifier).  IIRC,
it was a vendor-specific one in your case, so it could not be found in
the generic SCSI-2 specs.

Btw., i just remember somebody reporting me a similar event (SCSI
error in fixation phase), and it turned out to be overheating in his
case.

--
cheers, J"org