Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 12:37:50 -0500
From:      Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   telnet problem.

Hi,
	I have a strange problem with 4.3-Stable system (it existed
in  4.2-Stable as well).

	My FreeBSD machine is used as stepping off point from our
inside network. The general model is to ssh to it and then connect
out from there, usually to a router with telnet.

	If I ssh to it, I can do anything I want, no problems. The
connection never drops and continues to work.

	However, if from that window, I telnet to a Cisco, the connection
will time out and freeze after about an hour or so of inactivity. It
will
still do that if you had already logged out of the cisco.

	I don't think it's related to the ssh since, it will do the
same thing if you telnet to the FreeBSD machine and telnet out.

	This happens for both on and off network routers. Connection to
the FreeBSD machine is through a Firewall-1 4.1 machine (sun).

	I haven't tried from the console.

FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #0: Mon Apr 23 11:08:56 CDT 2001

I cvsup'd on Sunday.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd, Fl 1S		PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155