Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 21:05:47 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fun with slices and partitions

Hi everyone,

I just did a bit of rearranging of my partitions to get my FreeBSD slice
from one end of a drive to another. I did this by creating another slice on
the other end of the drive, partitioning it, and slowly migrating all of the
original /usr, /, and /var slices to the new drive with dumpfs piped to
restore. My /etc/fstab has been updated accordingly, but I have a bit of a
problem.

When I boot, boot2 can't find the root partition and dumps me at an
unhelpful prompt that isn't documented very well in the manual. My root
partition is currently ad1s1e, whereas it used to be ad1s3a. However, ad1s3
does not exist anymore. Of course I can boot by typing 'ad(1,e)' at the
boot2 prompt, but it is necessary for this machine to be able to boot
without user intervention. Does anyone know how I can get boot2 to find
ad1s1e automatically or fix the disk labels so boot2 can find it where it
is?

So far, I've tried using disklabel to relabel partition e to a. Of course
this fails because root is always mounted. Hmm... boot floppy? Please let me
know if you have any suggestions, and thanks in advance.

Regards,

David Schultz