Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 10:46:34 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Dmitrij Tejblum <tejblum@arc.hq.cti.ru>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP Reviewers. VFS changes to be committed.

On Thu, 26 Aug 1999, Dmitrij Tejblum wrote:

> Just a few comments...
>
> > 2) The casting of VFS ops to eopnotsupp() has been removed and
> >      vfs_nop*() functions have been put into kern/vfs_default.c
> >
> >    This makes it more clear that certain VFS-ops are giving default
> >    behavior, either returning automatic success or returning EOPNOTSUPP.
>
> I like the idea. (However, I think that the functions returning failure
> should not be called NOPs.)

What do you suggest?  I'm flexible about this.

> > Why does VFS_CHECKEXP take a vnode and not a mount point?
> > Hopefully in the future a filesystem will be able to more
> > restrictively export its files, this will help facilitate that.
>
> IMO, if it take a vnode, it should be VOP_CHECKEXP, not VFS_CHECKEXP.

#define	VFS_VPTOFH(VP, FIDP)	  (*(VP)->v_mount->mnt_op->vfs_vptofh)(VP, FIDP)
#define VFS_CHECKEXP(VP, NAM, EXFLG, CRED) \
	(*(VP)->v_mount->mnt_op->vfs_checkexp)(VP, NAM, EXFLG, CRED)

since i'm doing a lot of grunt work and would like to get it in, in a
single commit what do you think of doing the same with VPTOFH?

My only concern is that export-ability is more a VFS function than
a vnode operation, even if the argument is a vnode.

I'm not opposed to the work, it's just that there already exists a
VFS_op that takes a vnode argument and my statement above about
it being a function of the VFS.

-Alfred