Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2014 08:43:40 -0600
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 10 on VMWare in a corporate network; =?UTF-8?Q?How=3F?=

On 02/07/2014 8:06 am, Ian Lepore wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-07 at 13:17 +0100, Alban Hertroys wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For an experiment @work I figured I'd install FreeBSD 10 x64 in a
>> VMWare virtual machine that was made available to me, but I'm kind of
>> stuck installing ports or packages...
>>
>> The thing is, the vmware tools provided with this version of VMWare
>> (VMware® Workstation 10.0.1 build-1379776) are packaged with a Perl
>> script and there it looks like there is no Perl in FreeBSD 10.
>>
>> We're behind an NT/LM authenticated proxy, which I haven't managed to
>> get past yet from the FreeBSD installation in the VM, so downloading
>> distfiles (Perl, for example) isn't currently possible.
>>
>> I created a shared folder in VMWare to store distfiles on, but
>> apparently I need VMWare tools installed to access such a folder,
>> which brings me back to the Perl problem.
>>
>> It appears that I need samba & squid to have NT/LM authentication to
>> get through the proxy so that I can download ports & packages, but to
>> obtain packages for those I need to be able to get through the proxy
>> first.
>>
>> How do I solve this conundrum?
>>
>> If only I had a writable CD or an USB stick here, I could use that to
>> transfer the files between the systems, but unfortunately I don't have
>> any at hand (after the weekend perhaps, if I remember to bring them).
>>

> Can't you download the required distfiles onto another system, then
> copy
> them onto the new vm using scp?  If not scp for some reason, then my
> fallback has always been netcat, which is especially handy for getting
> ssh keys onto new system that only has, for example, a serial console.
>
> on newsystem:
>
>   nc -l 1200 >keys.tgz
>
> on sending system:
>
>   nc newsystem 1200 <keys.tgz
>
> -- Ian

I did some searching on this, because I thought for sure I had this
working in the past on a system.  However the documentation for fetch,
shows that it only supports basic and digest authentication.  Then I
remembered that the NTLM web filtering proxy we used when I was doing
this would fail back to basic authentication if NTLM failed.

But it might be worth a try, in case your Proxy does as well setting the
environment as follows may help:

HTTP_PROXY=http://proxy.example.com:8080
HTTP_PROXY_AUTH=basic:*:<user>:<pwd>

See the following manual pages for more information on fetch environment
variables:
man fetch
man 3 fetch

--