Date:      Wed, 10 May 2006 06:00:42 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "m m" <needacoder@gmail.com>, Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Patch for adding /media to FreeBSD

At 11:16 PM -0400 5/9/06, m m wrote:

>  ... and in my opinion better name match to use /mnt/temp
>for "temporary mount" and /mnt/floppy and /mnt/disk and
>/mnt/VOLUME, etc for "other" mount points...

This would have worked FreeBSD had described /mnt in that
manner sometime long ago.  Right now that would be a major
disruptive change.  Just imagine what happens to all those
people (and ports!) which are using /mnt in the way it has
been documented for all these years.  They'll be mounting
and unmounting things at /mnt, and the system will be
auto-mounting and auto-unmounting things at /mnt/whatever.
Sounds like a nightmare to me.

I think /media is probably as good a name as we're going
to come up with.  If I understand this correctly, that is
the name which is used by HAL-ish things on some other
unixes (although not MacOS 10, but IMO that is okay.  As
a MacOS 10 user, I know it'd be pretty easy to for me to
create a symlink from /media -> /Volumes).

disclaimer: I haven't looked at the patch to say whether
*it* is correct, but the name for the directory seems OK.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =               drosehn@rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org