Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:41:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        green@fang.cs.sunyit.edu (Charles Green)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: UNIX Sound SystemTM (USS) Lite (Formerly VoxWare)

> } > We should probably just go with TASD 3.5 which is under a BSDish
> } > copyright and then develop sound ourselves from here on.  At least there
> } > is one bright side to this, we can finally clean up some of the sources so
> } > we don't have #ifdef LINUX #ifdef SYSV #ifdef SCO #BSDI, and the assorted
> } > horrible mess...
> }
> } Sounds good to me!  Any takers? :-)
> }
> } 					Jordan
>
>         Wow!!! VERY bad idea!! This will just create more incompatablities!

I agree.  While we are at it, we should just all go to SVR4, since
developing a free OS (because we are disgruntled with the limitations
on research and the slow speed of bug fixes) just creates more
incompatabilities!

In case you didn't recognize that, let me translate: relying on code
which is not freely distributable under UCB-style license for
*anything* people consider a key system component is a >*BAD*<
thing.  It is diametrically opposed to the philosophies behind
FreeBSD (and NetBSD and OpenBSD, for that matter).  This is also
the reason for opposition to GPL and LGPL code in system critical
components.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---