Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:26:28 +0000
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        Allen Landsidel <alandsidel@venon.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup confusion

At 2001-02-22 17:41:51+0000, Allen Landsidel writes:

> I guess we can all be grateful that a great number of people apparently
> don't bother updating their systems. ;)

Yes, and so can they.  Many (most?) users are very happy with the
FreeBSD they are running, in a headless box stuffed behind a desk
somewhere, that has stayed up continuously for the last year or two
and never needs more than cursory maintenance.  Our main server is
running 3.4-RELEASE, and I have two boxes at 2.2.8-RELEASE, upgraded
from 2.2.2 a couple of years ago because I had never done an upgrade
and wanted to see what the process was like.  I have a friend who is
still running 2.0.5 (I think), and is still happy with it.

It's easy to forget, here in the dizzy heights of -STABLE and
-CURRENT, that many, many machines _never_ have an OS upgrade.  I
would guess that it's the great majority.

> >I bet 99% of all users leave their crontab entries for the periodic
> >scripts unchanged.  So regardless of their time zone, they are running
> >a 1 minute after some given hour (0301 in their local time zone).
> >That's 24 possible starting times each day, instead of 1440.  Many of
> >the mirrors which are never saturated currently would become saturated
> >at least several times a day under that scheme.

You could have a script which adds a randomly-timed line to
/etc/crontab.  Something involving `jot -r 1 0 59` and `jot -r 1 0
23`.  :-)

Nick B

--
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE: up 10 days, 20:58
last reboot Mon Feb 12 13:28 (upgraded to FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE)