Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:41:33 -0400
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chimesnet.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 4.1-R to 4.1-S

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 07:29:35PM +0200, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:

> >> One problem persists: How should I drop to singleuser mode on
> >> colocated servers? Pretty hard to do without driving to them.
> > Serial consoles and OOB access make the world go 'round.
>
> Sorry, but what's OOB? I think it should be possible to cross connect
> each two boxes with null modem cables (dunno if there's another word
> for them in English) in order to get serial access, am I right?
> (will try it as soon as I can get hands on cables -> tomorrow ;-)

Out of band. Serial cables cross connects, modems, a NOC monkey at
the terminal, remote consoles, etc.

> But OTOH, at the moment, it'd take approx. 45 min to get to the servers
> using public transport system, some minutes less but with the risk of
> traffic jams if by car or, perhaps the best solution if weather allows
> it, motorbike: Switzerland's small.

Yep. In rush hour it takes me 45min of crappy traffic, no traffic I can
make it in 15min. We use a cisco 2511 with lots of serial cables, but
we have more then 2 machines.

--
Bill Fumerola - Network Architect, BOFH / Chimes, Inc.
                billf@chimesnet.com / billf@FreeBSD.org