Date:      Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:29:23 -0800
From:      Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>, Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org, CeDeROM <cederom@tlen.pl>
Subject:   Re: 9.1-RC3 LiveCD missing features
References:  <CAFYkXj=R=V=3pUH9FbKq3pdqtga-EuJuTB1avZxi2bkLhUs5WA@mail.gmail.com> <50C26999.6090802@gmail.com> <50C26EF3.5070300@ose.nl> <1354923273.87661.273.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <CAFYkXjnto9nnkCopMPRkwGShPZ4GcHzHxD15y4iffUHri1K5Qg@mail.gmail.com> <CAGH67wTLVNAk3k=Cfg2oHhchOk9cXSZO7ReKy2%2Bbdy6b6XFvnw@mail.gmail.com> <1354988560.87661.290.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <CAGH67wQXdY0Qhp2h5paPiAYOEJ%2Beto7DgS4pMRs9dZ5KnGJtbQ@mail.gmail.com>

On Dec 8, 2012, at 12:09 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 8, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Ian Lepore
> <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote:
>=20
>=20
>> It shouldn't require rc.initdiskless; just the fact that rc.d/var
>> detects it can't write to /var should cause it to automatically create a
>> memory fileystem for it, and minimally populate it.  As far as I know,
>> this is automatic unless you use rc.conf knobs to disable it.
>=20
> That doesn't solve other things like hostid, rc.conf, ssh/*, etc not
> being writable. I've had to use LiveCDs (post 9.0) a few times and the
> amount of hoops that I have to go through in order to get a working
> system is silly.
>=20
> Plus, it would be nice if it used an mfsroot, like another PR I filed
> said (it sucks having to wait 3 minutes for the USB CD to probe before
> I can mountroot over IPMI on Supermicro machines).
>=20

Never fear=85 as discussed at November's DevSummit=85
I'm both extremely dediated-to (and designated whipping boy for) bringing m=
fsroot back as an option.

It's going to take awhile tho.

The roadmap essentially looks like:

1. Use bsdconfig as a dumping ground for migrating sysinstall features such=
 as scriptability (working on that now; aim is that the scripting engine ca=
n run sysinstall scripts, achieving backward compatibility with  15+ years =
of past functionality).

2. When bsdconfig has the aforementioned scripting engine, the media framew=
ork (working on that right now, simultaneously with the scripting engine), =
the packages module (which will be pkgng based -- requires the completion o=
f the media framework first), and has the distributions module then there w=
ill be a bsdconfig 1.0 release. Correspondingly at that time the WITH_BSDCO=
NFIG hook will dissolve and no-longer be required (and thusly bsdconfig(8) =
will be available in releng distributions).

3. With the release of bsdconfig and general availability, I can then start=
 the process of linking bsdinstall to bsdconfig.

4. bsdinstall will become i18n-ready.

5. bsdinstall will inherit the media selection dialog from bsdconfig (which=
 is based on sysinstall's media selection dialog)

NOTE: And I'm sure other things will happen to bsdinstall under my wing, bu=
t I'm not ready to commit to more than that at this time

6. I will then calculate the dependencies of bsdinstall/bsdconfig to create=
 an mfsroot

7. Leave the existing releng Makefile alone, but make a release/Makefile.bs=
dinstall that generates an mfsroot

And then we'll start down the road of testing mfsroot-based bsdinstall medi=
a.

Right now I'm at #1, working to get to #2. bsdconfig in ports is at 0.7.x. =
When I complete the media framework (well over 2,000 lines of code so far -=
- restructuring and growing daily, trying to get to a stable point of commi=
t that reflects a working media selection dialog with ALL permutations that=
 sysinstall supported), I'll release a 0.8.x port. Beyond that, when I fini=
sh the packages module (pkgng based of course), I'll release a 0.9.x port (=
all of these being just frozen snapshots of HEAD's usr.sbin/bsdconfig/ dir)=
. Last (and completing step #2 above), I'll quickly generate the distributi=
ons module which will conclude the entirety of scope -- replicating sysinst=
all's "Post-Install Configuration" menu (and thus, 1.0 release and unleashi=
ng).
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.